Mutton Pulao- a dish bringing colors of savory to your traditional home menu.
Today, I have decided to write about a dish known to most and is favored all over the subcontinent with my sense of taste- Mutton Pulao. Pulao known as Pilaf in the world- is one of the eccentric dishes which has stayed true to its root despite undergoing evolvement.
Every region has its own kind of Pulao like in Afghanistani Pulao we can taste the element of sweetness with an abundance of nuts. On the other hand in the Mediterranean, pulao has the freshness of vegetables.
Pilaf is a combination of rice cooked in broth or stock accompanied by meat to add a protein element. People sometimes mix up Pulao and biryani as both are rice dishes- biryani is all about complex spices and layering or rice whereas in Pulao rice is cooked in such a way that they are kept light and fluffy. The texture of the rice is not suppressed underweight of meat.
Why Have I Chosen The Mutton Pulao Recipe
As I have said I’ll be sharing the recipe for mutton pulao. So the reason I have chosen mutton is that the taste and flavor and the richness of nutrients which is left my mutton excite up other spices. Mutton Pulao is the most recommended and cooked dish both in households and restaurants.
Mutton Pulao- is thought to be a simple dish because of little spices and acidity but the technique used in its cooking is not easy. Every spice is boiled with meat to extract out stock or broth then rice is soaked into this stock to absorb all the flavors.
Mutton Pulao- can be made spicy or bland it’s up to your taste. You can play with the ingredients you can add vegetables to it or integrate with lentils. Mutton pulao is often complemented with raita, kebabs, and with some gravy or a savory dish.
Especially on Eid-ul-Azha where every house is filled with the aroma of spices of Pulao because of the abundance of fresh meat. Pulao is regarded as an “Eid Cuisine”.
Mutton Pulao Ingredients
- 4 cups of basmati rice
- ¾ tablespoon fennel seeds
- 2 onions
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds(zeera)
- 2-star anise
- 16 cloves of garlic
- 1 sliced ginger
- 10 cloves
- 2 mace flower (javitri)
- 8 green cardamoms
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 3 sticks of cinnamon
- 1 kg mutton (cleaned)
- Salt to taste
- 7 cups of water
- 150 grams of oil
- 3 onions chopped ( for yakhni)
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 5 cups of stock
- ¼ cup fried onion
- Juice of 1 lemon
Step By Step Method For Mutton Pulao
Wash basmati rice and soak them in water for at least 30 minutes and also soak a pinch of saffron in a cup of milk.
Step2# Making of Yakhni
To make mutton stock, you have to a clean muslin cloth, add all ingredients to that cloth. Now tie the cloth to a pouch and make sure that spices are secured well. Now take a pressure, add washed meat and the pouch of spices in that pressure cooker. To make the broth also 7 cups of water and salt to taste in that pressure cooker.
Put this pressure cooker on the flame and let it boil. Let the meat cook in the cooker until the meat is perfectly done.
Tip: Don’t overcook the meat
Once the meat is done, remove the cooker from the heat. Now separate mutton from the pouch. And don’t forget to squeeze out all the extract from the pouch in stock to get all the flavors out of that pouch and then you can empty that pouch
Step3# Making Yakhni Pulao
Take a pan, add oil, and heat it. As soon as the oil is heated, add bay leaves and fry them in that oil. Then put sliced onions and fry them until they get golden brown. Then add green chilies and let them simmer in with onion and bay leaves.
Put boiled meat in the pan and sauté on high flame for 3 minutes. Then add salt and yogurt and mix it with the button and let it cook with mutton for 1 minute. Add drained rice in this mixture and mix the rice so it gets coated with all ingredients.
Then add stock of about 6 ½ cups. If the cooked yakhni is not sufficient then to make it 6 ½ cups you can add extra water. Then add garam masala, lemon juice over the rice. Place the lid on the pan and put it on dum for 15 minutes.
Allow this stock to cook with rice and all other ingredients until most of the stock is dried up. Now to add extra flavor you can add soaked saffron over the rice and again put the rice on dum for another 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes remove the dum, and your Delicious beef Pulao is ready. You can garnish it with fried onions, green chilies, some nuts and Pulao can be well served with raita, chutneys, any kind of salad, seekh kebabs or shami kebabs can be added to the menu with pulao. To spice up your pulao you can give serve it with gravy and or spicy shorba.
Mutton Pulao Pro tips
- Choosing the best meat for your pulao. Fresh meat has more healthy nutrients with fewer cholesterol-causing agents. But some people choose to go with packaged meat, which is already cut into pieces and washed. It’s up to you. Frozen meat quality should be catered well you can go for K&N’s meat. One more thing meat should be perfectly cut into pieces, shoulder cut is most suitable. But you can also go with a leg cut.
- Tenderness of meat is important- one must keep in mind that meat is cooked fully and the stock doesn’t dry up more than 90 percent.
- Pulao has a bland taste to heat it up you can add green chilies to spice it up a little. Green chilies can be added to the pouch or they can be simply placed over the rice.
- Avoid floating garlic over your pulao. You must keep thing this is mind garlic you be dissolved in the broth completely. If not dissolved on heat and you can also mash it.
Best Secret Tips to Excel The Taste of Your Mutton Pulao
- Freshness can be added to warmed pulao by assembling it with a vegetable salad or vegetable shorba or you can garnish the pulao with fresh vegetables.
- One thing which symbolizes the perfection of your pulao is the whiteness and richness of rice. Long and good quality basmati rice should be selected to bring the best texture of pulao.
- Fried onions must be added over the top of the pulao because it breaks the monotony of soft texture and adds crispiness to your pulao.
- Ingredients for garnishing of pulao should be such with add extra color and taste to the dish like we can fuse the pulao with nuts and resins to add richness and to add color we can add mint and coriander leaves.
- Lemon slices is another modern element that can enhance the flavor of your dish with its tanginess and sourness.
Don’t forget to try and share your experience.